Within the Bulls’ (15-18) second-to-last recreation earlier than the All-Star break, the Denver Nuggets (19-15) zoomed into Chicago and received 118-112. An Artūras Karnišovas revenge recreation was not within the playing cards.
Listed below are 15 observations:
1. Wendell Carter Jr. instructed reporters after morning shootaround that Karnišovas was particularly excited for this recreation — the primary time the Bulls govt vice chairman’s new crew would face the group for which he as soon as served as basic supervisor. However the Bulls hardly performed prefer it early, because the Nuggets sprinted out to a 16-3 lead, forging forward 37-25 by the tip of the primary quarter.
2. The Bulls ranked eighth in defensive score in an 8-6 month of February, however confirmed indicators of regression in that first quarter. The Nuggets shot 59.3 p.c within the body and posted the nineteenth 35-plus level quarter by a Bulls opponent this season.
3. Nikola Jokić dominated early, ending 10 first-quarter minutes with 8 factors, 6 rebounds, 4 assists and a pair of blocks. His passing, particularly, bent the thoughts:
He entered the half with 16 factors, 8 rebounds and 6 assists, then got here alive within the fourth with one other 17. He completed with a remaining line of 39 factors, 14 rebounds and 9 assists. Double him, he burns you with the go. Single-cover, he’ll bruise you beneath the basket — or shoot excessive. And he does all of it with a uncommon, herky-jerky flare. A exceptional, inevitable participant, for whom the Bulls had no reply.
4. Zach LaVine, in the meantime, did not take his first shot till greater than six minutes into the primary quarter, a product of the Nuggets hurling waves of our bodies his approach at each flip, a development that continued all through.
In flip, it wasn’t LaVine’s most explosive scoring night time — he completed with 23 — however he learn the double-teams levied towards comparatively reliably, ending with 5 assists and various hockey assists. Caveat: An ill-timed journey with lower than a minute to play marked his fourth and remaining turnover, and all however clinched the Nuggets’ win.
5. The Bulls punched again on a number of events, and for some time, however the Nuggets appeared to at all times have a solution. After a scoring spurt by Jamal Murray pushed the customer’s lead as excessive as 15 early within the second, the Bulls chipped away to finish the primary half trailing simply 62-55. A 5-0 Nuggets run to begin the third prompted a Donovan timeout simply 32 seconds into the interval — persevering with his penchant for quick-trigger time calls when the Bulls sputter.
However by the ultimate minute of the third, the Bulls have been again inside 86-85 on the heels of a run that, you guessed it, was keyed by the bench. On the energy of a 13-5 run to shut the third, they entered the fourth behind simply 89-87; Thad Younger rapidly plunked in consecutive hook pictures to place the Bulls forward early within the fourth. The Nuggets did not rating till practically 4 minutes into the fourth because the Bulls’ benefit swelled to as many as six.
Finally, although, they stormed again to safe a six-point victory.
6. The Bulls’ reserves outscored the Nuggets’ 39-17, benefiting from a skinny Denver squad enjoying with out JaMychal Inexperienced, Paul Millsap, Gary Harris and Facundo Campazzo.
- Thad Younger foolish stat line alert: He completed with 12 factors, 5 rebounds, 4 assists and (a season-high-tying) 4 steals, making large play after large play all through.
- Denzel Valentine entered the sport 3-for-25 from 3 in his final six video games, however made 3 of 8 tries on this one.
- Ryan Arcidiacono performed 9 minutes, scoring 5 factors, hitting a 3 and swiping a steal within the third quarter
- Luke Kornet made two extra 3s! He is now 5-for-8 from deep within the Bulls’ final two video games after beginning the season 1-for-14, and stays entrenched forward of Daniel Gafford (DNP) within the rotation.
- These 4, plus Coby White, shaped the five-man unit that sprinted again into the sport in a 3rd quarter. At one level between the third and early fourth, they scored 23 straight factors for the Bulls.
7. The trio of Jokić (39), Murray (24) and Michael Porter Jr. (17) mixed for 70 factors. Murray delivered a dagger fastbreak 3 to place the Nuggets up 112-108 with 1:39 remaining. Enjoying short-handed, the Nuggets’ large weapons delivered.
8. White struggled to a first-half line of 4 factors, 2 assists and a pair of turnovers, however got here alive to the tune of 11 within the third quarter, 16 within the second half. Although his remaining taking pictures line — 7-for-17, 2-for-7 from deep — leaves one thing to be desired, he discovered a method to make a big effect, knocking down 10 boards for his third points-rebounds double-double of the season and main the Bulls with 37 minutes..
9. Patrick Williams cracked double-figures for the fifth time in his final seven video games. He picked up an important fourth-quarter block on Jokić, and, properly, received dunked on the following possession.
10. The Bulls shot simply 27-for-48 within the paint.
12. Vibrant spots: The Bulls dedicated simply 10 turnovers on the night…
13. … scored a season-high 28 factors on the fastbreak (and restricted the Nuggets to 9)…
14. … and held the Nuggets to only 20 free-throw makes an attempt, taking 22 of their very own. For a lot of the season, the Bulls have ben one of many league’s extra foul-happy groups on protection and languished close to the basement in charity-stripe tries per night time.
15. The Bulls entered play second within the NBA in “clutch” video games this season — contests inside a five-point margin with 5 minutes or much less to play — with 20. They performed one other one tonight, however the loss strikes their document to 9-12 in such video games, backside 10 within the league. They’re hanging round in nearly each recreation, however the hump eludes them.
Subsequent up: On the New Orleans Pelicans on Wednesday. Then, the All-Star break.