The aim of tips and proposals is to summarize and assess obtainable proof to assist healthcare professionals in applicable resolution making within the administration of a person affected person with a given situation. The Bangladesh Endocrine Society (BES), as knowledgeable physique, has been publishing its suggestions for the previous few years. In response to the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic, BES shaped a job drive comprising consultants on this area to formulate sensible suggestions for the administration of sufferers with diabetes mellitus and/or different endocrine problems with COVID-19. The members of this job drive comprehensively reviewed the obtainable proof for the precise situations. Search engines like google corresponding to Google Scholar, PubMed and Scopus have been used, with key phrases together with
COVID-19 and Diabetes Mellitus, SARS COV-2, Antidiabetic Medicines, Endocrine ailments and COVID-19, Thyroid illness and COVID-19, Adrenal illness and COVID-19, Pituitary illness and COVID-19.
Every part of the advice was drafted by one member, adopted by rigorous evaluate and modifications by different members. Throughout choice of the articles, interventional research got highest choice, however as a result of shortage of adequate randomized trials on this area, observational research, case research and skilled suggestions have been additionally included. Subsequently, this advice is a mix of skilled opinions and narrative abstract of the obtainable proof relating to administration of COVID-19 sufferers with diabetes mellitus and/or different endocrine ailments.
The yr 2020 witnessed a largely unprecedented pandemic of coronavirus illness (COVID-19), brought on by SARS COV-2. Many individuals with COVID-19 have comorbidities, together with diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular ailments, that are considerably related to worse outcomes.1 Furthermore, COVID–19 itself is related to worsening of hyperglycemia. Relying on the worldwide area, 20–59% sufferers within the COVID-19 pandemic had diabetes.2 In Bangladesh, one in each 12 adults has diabetes, with a prevalence of 8.4%.3 Knowledge recommend that solely 22.5% of sufferers with diabetes have good glycemic management.3 Subsequently, the Bangladesh Endocrine Society has formulated some sensible suggestions for administration of diabetes and different endocrine ailments in sufferers with COVID-19 for use in each main and specialist care settings.
Diabetes and COVID-19
The danger of a deadly final result from COVID-19 could also be as much as 178–221% increased in sufferers with diabetes than in non–diabetics.4–6 Knowledge present that sufferers with diabetes and COVID had CFR 7.3–9.2%, in contrast with 0.9–1.4% in sufferers with out comorbidities.7,8 Diabetic ketoacidosis could also be one of the causes of mortality in COVID-19.9 There may be large fluctuation of blood glucose in these sufferers, in all probability resulting from irregular food regimen, diminished train, elevated glucocorticoids secretion, use of glucocorticoids and many others. Additionally, COVID-19 can induce a big quantity of inflammatory cytokines resulting in extreme insulin resistance.10 The rationale behind elevated severity of COVID-19 in diabetes is advanced. Gupta et al. famous that poor glycemic management impairs a number of elements of the immune response to viral infections. Inappropriate T-cell motion, impaired NK cell exercise and defects in complement motion can scale back viral clearance. Diabetes and weight problems are related to irregular secretion of adipokines and cytokines corresponding to TNF-α and interferon, predisposing to extreme an infection. Plasminogen is elevated in diabetes, rising the virulence of SARS CoV-2.11 Greater ranges of IL-6, ESR, CRP, ferritin, fibrinogen and D-dimer have been reported in sufferers with diabetes in contrast with non-diabetics.12 Furin, a membrane sure protease concerned within the entry of coronaviruses into the cell, is elevated in diabetes, which can promote viral replication. Comorbidities corresponding to hypertension, CAD and CKD additional worsen the prognosis.11 Figure 1 reveals a abstract of postulated mechanisms of elevated severity of COVID-19 in diabetic sufferers.
Determine 1 Steered mechanisms of elevated severity of COVID-19 in diabetes.
Angiotensin-converting-enzyme 2 (ACE2) has been recognized because the receptor for the coronavirus spike protein. COVID-19 an infection decreases ACE2 expression, rising the chance of mobile harm, hyperinflammation and respiratory failure.13 Persistent hyperglycemia downregulates ACE2 expression making the cells weak to the inflammatory impact of the virus. However acute hyperglycemia upregulates ACE2 expression, facilitating viral cell entry. Additionally it is postulated that COVID–19 can induce new onset diabetes through its direct impact on pancreatic β cells which specific ACE2 receptors.14–16
Glycemic Targets and Glucose Monitoring
HbA1c must be <7.0% for the bulk of the sufferers, this goal could also be relaxed in applicable scientific settings.17 Extra emphasis must be given on day-to-day blood glucose ranges. Hypoglycemia (<3.9 mmol/l) should be averted (Table 1).17,18
Desk 1 Plasma Glucose Targets
Within the case of steady glucose monitoring/flash glucose monitoring, time-in–vary (3.9–10.0 mmol/l, 70–180 mg/dL) must be >70% of the time (or >50% in frail and older individuals and reasonable to extreme instances).2 For extreme and critically ailing sufferers who’re on intravenous insulin infusion, the glycemic goal must be 7.8–10 mmol/L (140–180 mg/dL).
Self–monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG) is a suitable various to laboratory plasma glucose estimation within the current state of affairs. SMBG must be checked at any scientific suspicion of hypoglycemia.19–21 Frequent monitoring of blood glucose (each hour or each 2 h) is required in sufferers with very poor oral consumption or these in ICU or non–ICU who’re on mechanical air flow who would require intravenous insulin infusion.19–21 Table 2 reveals the really helpful frequency of SMBG in COVID sufferers.
Desk 2 SMBG Frequency
Steady glucose monitoring (CGM) might confer further profit in phrases of glycemic management in sufferers receiving a number of dose insulin injections, steady subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII) or insulin pump or intravenous insulin syringe pump.19–22
Vitamin Management and Bodily Exercise in COVID-19 and Diabetes
Some situations might intrude with a wholesome common food regimen, corresponding to anorexia and anosmia, gastrointestinal signs corresponding to diarrhea, vomiting, dehydration, irregular schedule, lack of care in isolation ward, stress, nervousness, insomnia and many others.23 Throughout sick days, the affected person ought to observe the common calorie and schedule given earlier than. To keep up hydration a minimum of half a cup (100 mL) of water or unsweetened drinks must be taken hourly. The affected person shouldn’t miss meals and shouldn’t quick. If unable to eat a lot, he/she ought to strive snacks or drinks with carbohydrates. An everyday meal schedule must be maintained. Glucose drink or lozenge or pill must be saved with the affected person of their isolation room or ward. Loads of vegetables and fruit, a minimum of 2 or 3 servings a day, must be taken. If the affected person is unable to eat resulting from vomiting or can not stay hydrated, then pressing medical assist is required.24,25 Sufficient lean protein corresponding to fish, meat, egg, milk, cheese, seeds or nuts must be consumed. Protein restrictions (0.8 g per kg physique weight) could also be wanted in continual kidney illness with diabetes.26 In crucial, intubated or ventilated ICU sufferers with COVID-19, enteral vitamin (EN) must be began by a nasogastric tube. Isocaloric vitamin slightly than hypocaloric vitamin might be more and more applied after the early stage of acute sickness. Blood glucose must be continued at goal ranges with monitoring of blood triglycerides and electrolytes together with phosphate, potassium and magnesium.26 There are suggestions for the inhabitants to take vitamin D dietary supplements throughout this pandemic.27 Zinc has been proven to have inhibitory results on H1N1 viral load, however any impact in COVID-19 is unknown.28 Vitamin C supplementation has some function in prevention of pneumonia and its impact in COVID–19 wants analysis.29 Throughout sick days, vigorous train is just not suggested. If the illness class is delicate some residence workout routines might be performed. Respiratory workout routines and sustaining a inclined place is helpful. The affected person ought to stroll for just a few steps or transfer their legs each 2 hours to forestall thromboembolism. Specialist respiratory physiotherapists could also be wanted in hospitals and ICU setting. Sufficient sleep is important.30–32
Residence Management, Indications for Hospital Care and Sick Day Guidelines
Guidelines for DM Sufferers with COVID-19 An infection
At residence, the affected person ought to stay remoted in a single room, use a single bathroom, ought to apply hand washing with soap-water 20 seconds every time ceaselessly or earlier than/after taking meal or after utilizing washroom, after coughing, sneezing. A 60% alcohol-based sanitizer can be utilized. Cough/sneezing etiquette might be maintained through the use of tissue paper, material or elbow/hand. Face masks must be used. Care must be given by a single wholesome individual sustaining protecting measures. Residence ground, furnishings, door knobs, mild swap, sink, bathroom seat, handles must be cleaned and disinfected after use. Meditation, prayer might help in minimizing stress and nervousness. Information that may trigger misery or nervousness must be minimized. Common sleep is important. Contact with family members, buddies and neighbors through phone, on-line communication might be practiced to cut back results of social isolation. Provide/storage of prescribed anti–diabetic drugs/refills at residence must be ensured for one to 3 months.33–36
Table 3 reveals the proposed indications of hospitalization in diabetic sufferers with COVID-19.
Desk 3 Indications of Hospitalization vs Residence Management in Diabetic Sufferers with COVID-19
Guidelines for DM Sufferers to Stop Publicity to COVID-19
Folks with DM ought to keep at residence as a lot as attainable to cut back publicity danger. Whether it is essential to exit, crowds must be averted, social distancing must be maintained by 1–2 meters and a face masks must be used. Routine clinic visits might be minimized whereas telemedicine/video consultations, phone recommendation, on-line drug supply must be thought of. Non-emergency routine evaluations must be deferred. Storage of drugs and glucose testing package must be ensured for 1–3 months. With routine SMBG, treatment must be adjusted. Residence-based train like treadmill, stationary biking, free hand or aerobics, strolling in room, roof, parking space or climbing stairs might be performed. Food regimen with a lot of greens and citrus meals must be consumed. Hand hygiene must be maintained as talked about in earlier part. When coughing or sneezing, individuals with DM ought to cowl nostril and mouth with a tissue or a flexed elbow. They need to keep away from touching eyes, mouth or nostril and will keep away from assembly sick people, unprotected contact with wildlife and cattle, sharing meals, instruments, glasses, towels. Vaccination to forestall secondary an infection (e.g. influenza, streptococcal pneumonia) must be thought of.33–35
Common Guidelines Throughout Illness
Fluid consumption must be fastidiously balanced with vomiting or diarrhea if any. The affected person ought to take a lot of water or calorie–free drinks at 120–180 mL per hour to keep away from dehydration and if they can’t take 50 g of carbohydrates by meals, it may also be essential to drink sugary drinks whereas monitoring SMBG to keep away from hyperglycemia. Weight must be measured daily; dropping pounds generally is a signal of excessive blood glucose. The affected person ought to have day by day foot checks to make sure early detection of poor blood provide or an infection.30,34,37
Therapy of DM in COVID-19: Anti-Diabetic Brokers: Oral and Parenteral
Sort 2 diabetes therapy in COVID-19 sufferers with oral or parental glucose decreasing medicine will depend on scientific severity of sickness and related comorbid conditions. Relating to use of antidiabetic brokers, there are lots of controversies and misconceptions throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. There are additionally latest suggestions from completely different authors, consultants and organizations. Contemplating all these, this advice is constituted of the Bangladesh Endocrine Society.
Issues to Use Anti-Diabetic Medicine
Metformin is the extensively used first-line antidiabetic agent for administration of kind 2 diabetes mellitus. It’s accountable for the activation of the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) within the liver and thereby decreases hepatic glucose output.38 The activation of AMPK by metformin additionally results in phosphorylation of ACE2 which may result in conformational and practical adjustments to this receptor. 39 Activation of ACE2 will increase its protecting anti-inflammatory exercise which can forestall hyperinflammation in COVID-19 an infection.40 Metformin additionally has anticipated antiproliferative and immunomodulatory results resulting from activation of AMPK and has proven to have a protecting function in pneumonia in mouse mannequin and decreased mortality in sepsis, tuberculosis and COPD in earlier human research.41 In the meantime, a number of research have reported the outcomes of metformin use in sufferers with kind 2 diabetes with COVID-19. Though one research reported a rise in severity of an infection with metformin use, some research discovered neither hurt nor profit each in severity and mortality, however the majority reported a major discount in mortality.42 Metformin additionally has an oblique impact to lower replication of this virus.43 Contemplating all these, though there are not any latest good knowledge in COVID-19, metformin could also be an actual sport changer in COVID-19 pandemic. 40 It’s evident that lactic acidosis with metformin use is a uncommon occasion and predictable solely in extreme or crucial COVID 19 sickness with hypoxia or renal dysfunction.2,41 Beside a serious function in carbohydrate metabolism, DPP4 enzyme additionally performs an vital function in immune regulation, however this isn’t utterly understood. DPP4 prompts T cells and upregulates CD86 expression and NF-κB pathway and will increase irritation in kind 2 diabetes. So, DPP4 might characterize a possible goal for stopping and lowering the chance and development of the acute respiratory problems of COVID-19 an infection in kind 2 diabetes.44 A meta-analysis has proven that higher respiratory tract infections don’t enhance considerably with DPP4 inhibitor therapy. 45 DPP4 inhibitors have proven anti-inflammatory results.44 In COVID-19 illness, there generally is a cytokine storm and extreme inflammatory response. So exploiting the defending function of DPP-4 inhibitors in reducing the profound irritation appears logical. Though obtainable knowledge recommend that DPP4 inhibitors produce no hurt, a comparatively giant research reveals that there’s rising proof that it could decrease the chance of extreme COVID-19.46 Lately, it has been hypothesized that SGLT-2i, GLP-1RAs and pioglitazone may induce an over-expression of the ACE2 receptor, which can have extra severe penalties if a diabetic affected person is contaminated. 47,48 GLP-1RA has proven through the years a major anti-inflammatory and anti-adipogenic impact.49 Comparable proof of anti-inflammatory impact can also be seen with SGLT-2i and pioglitazone.50,51 Though there’s elevated likelihood of COVID-19 an infection by ACE2 overexpression, pioglitazone additionally reduces proinflammatory cytokines and inflammatory markers, and cytokine storm and fibrotic lung harm.41 The usefulness of each GLP-1Ra and SGLT-2i for the prevention of cardiovascular and kidney illness is well-known. With COVID-19, individuals with the presence of a cardiovascular or kidney illness present a worse prognosis.52,53 Subsequently, it appears to be obligatory to protect the integrity of kidney and of the cardiovascular system in individuals who could possibly be affected by SARS-CoV-2.48 Additionally euglycemic or reasonable hyperglycemic DKA with SGLT-2i are uncommon occasions and predictable solely in extreme or crucial COVID 19 sickness and particularly in a background of poor meals consumption, dehydration and hypovolemia.2,41 Insulin is probably the most potent, applicable and most secure antidiabetic agent in any acute an infection. Though there are claims and counter claims relating to ACE2 overexpression with insulin in COVID-19, a number of stresses together with respiratory failure and sepsis in extreme COVID-19 an infection result in defects in insulin secretion and motion. So, most sufferers would require insulin in excessive dose throughout this an infection.2
Tables 4 and 5 summarize the suggestions for use of anti-diabetic brokers and medicines used for different comorbidities in diabetic sufferers with COVID-19. Table 6 summarizes the suggestions for administration of diabetes in line with severity.
Desk 4 Suggestions for Anti-Diabetic Brokers
Desk 5 Suggestions for Medicine Used for CoMorbid Illnesses of Diabetes
Desk 6 Suggestions for Management of Diabetes In line with Severity
Observe BES Insulin Guideline for insulin initiation and intensification (part 3).56
Relating to use of investigational anti-COVID-19 medicine (e.g., hydroxychloroquine), think about their glycemic results.10
Diabetes Management in COVID-19 Sufferers in Hospital Setting
COVID-19 illness is a problem for diabetic sufferers. Presence of diabetes will increase illness severity and mortality in COVID-19 sufferers. Glycemic management must be optimum throughout this pandemic scenario. Diabetes administration in hospital setup each in outpatient division (OPD) and inpatient wants consideration. Entry of diabetes sufferers to outpatient clinics is proscribed throughout this pandemic and this urges various therapy choices, notably the implementation of telemedicine companies. In spite of this case there shall be just a few required OPD visits and these might be prioritized as follows.
Outpatient Appointment Prioritization for Specialist Diabetes Departments Through the Coronavirus Pandemic
Pressing nose to nose appointment is required in instances of newly recognized kind 1 diabetes,2,57,58 extreme hyperglycemia requiring insulin initiation, instructing blood glucose monitoring in an pressing scenario corresponding to being pregnant or training about CGM, when blood take a look at monitoring is required (as in declining renal operate or electrolyte imbalance), and if pressing bodily examination is required (corresponding to in being pregnant emergencies and extreme foot an infection). Digital consultations i.e. phone, video, e-mail are really helpful for observe up of newly recognized kind 1 DM, weak sufferers for instance with historical past of latest hospital admission, recurrent extreme hypoglycemia, HbA1c>11% and for diabetes observe up and insulin dose adjustment in being pregnant. Appointment must be deferred in steady and properly managed DM, if danger of attending OPD is larger than profit, and for well being training periods.
Sufferers Requiring Hospital Admission
Intravenous insulin is rational for most basic surgical and medical sufferers outdoors the ICU. Insulin analogues normally produce a decrease incidence of hypoglycaemia than do common human or Impartial Protamine Hagedorn (NPH) insulin. That is most well-liked therapy for non-critically ailing hospitalized sufferers’ basal insulin and a basal plus bolus correction insulin routine is the popular therapy with poor oral consumption or those that are taking nothing by mouth. An insulin routine with basal, prandial, and correction elements is the popular therapy for non-critically ailing hospitalized sufferers with good dietary consumption and in addition for sufferers requiring glucocorticoid. Solely gliding scale insulin use routine within the inpatient hospital setting is strongly discouraged. If analogue insulin is unaffordable, typical insulin might be continued being cautious about extra hypoglycemia whereas frequent monitoring is important. For administration of diabetes in hospital setting, DKA and HHS, please consult with BES Insulin Guideline, Sections 4 and 5.56 After the affected person improves from the crucial sickness, when discontinuing intravenous insulin, a transition protocol is really helpful. A affected person transitioned to a intravenous routine ought to obtain a dose of subcutaneous basal insulin 2–4 h earlier than the intravenous infusion is discontinued. For extra particulars, please observe BES Insulin Guideline Part 4.56
Diabetes Management After Restoration from COVID-19
Recommendation at Discharge from Hospital
Throughout residence isolation for diabetes administration the affected person ought to begin the medicine in line with the recommendation33 of the discharge certificates. They need to do SMBG 4 occasions per day in preliminary days and phone endocrinologist/diabetologist as quickly attainable. The endocrinologist/diabetologist will modify, if wanted, the administration plan regularly to realize standard glycemic goal of the affected person. Insulin could also be continued, if began throughout hospital. For the sufferers who have been on insulin previous to hospital keep, they are going to proceed it. After they really feel properly, they need to begin bodily train. The sufferers ought to quit smoking, attempt to scale back physique weight, if obese or overweight, test BP at residence and be vaccinated for influenza and pneumonia, if not performed as per schedule. After discharge from hospital, COVID-19 sufferers with diabetes ought to preserve residence isolation for a minimum of 3 weeks.
Prevention of COVID-19 in Folks with Diabetes
Desk 7 Precautions to Stop COVID-19 in Folks with Diabetes
Being pregnant and Diabetes
Pregnant ladies expertise immunological and physiological adjustments in line with the CDC which could make them extra vulnerable to viral respiratory infections, together with COVID-19.
Girls with pre-existing diabetes have been recognized as being extra weak to the extreme60 results of COVID-19. Extra assessments at antenatal go to ought to embody HbA1c, renal and thyroid operate, and urinary albumin-creatinine ratio (ACR) and fundoscopy the place attainable. Face-to–face evaluate is required if early, this could coincide with the 11–14-week scan. All ladies with pre-existing diabetes must be educated about SMBG, food regimen chart and sick day guidelines, info on hypoglycemia avoidance, prescription for folic acid and aspirin. Shut and common cellphone or e-mail communication between obstetric and diabetic groups is important to plan care and observe up. Girls affected by COVID-19 must be suggested to extra frequent evaluate of SMBG report.
In view of the extended ready interval in hospital,61 2-hour oral glucose tolerance take a look at (OGTT) could also be postponed on this COVID 19 scenario. For girls having excessive danger of GDM the next modifications (as per Figure 2) could possibly be used.
Determine 2 Screening for ladies with danger elements for GDM. Notice:Knowledge from Ceriello et al.55
All ladies recognized with GDM ought to have an appointment with the diabetes staff who will present glucometer coaching and food regimen recommendation. The place possible, this must be performed through video name. Additional diabetes observe up must be performed remotely. For GDM ladies having goal glycemic management on food regimen solely, no additional hospital visits for diabetes take a look at are wanted. They may contact with diabetes staff if they’ve >3 irregular blood glucose ranges/week or >10–15% of all readings. Postpartum screening for maternal dysglycemia must be deferred till after the COVID-19 pandemic is over.
Well being Care Skilled (HCP) and Diabetes
Well being-care professionals with diabetes and people with age >60 years must be deployed away from front-line scientific duties the place attainable.2 For instances wherein this isn’t attainable or fascinating, high-grade safety or elevated safety must be used.2 All healthcare personnel ought to adhere to plain precautions when caring for sufferers with SARS-CoV-2 an infection, utilizing respirator face masks, isolation robe, face protect or goggles, and performing hand hygiene earlier than placing on gloves.62 SARS-CoV-2 an infection sufferers whether or not confirmed or attainable ought to put on a facemask when being evaluated medically.62 Any HCP who develops fever or signs in line with COVID 19 ought to instantly self-isolate and phone to rearrange for medical analysis and testing.62
Management of Endocrine Illnesses Throughout COVID-19 Pandemic
People with adrenal insufficiency have an elevated price of respiratory infection-related deaths, probably resulting from impaired immune operate reported in research.63 After prognosis of COVID-19, a immediate modification of the substitute dose as indicated for the “Sick days” must be established when minor signs seem. On the whole, sufferers ought to double their standard glucocorticoid dose to keep away from adrenal disaster. Moreover, sufferers are additionally really helpful to have adequate inventory at residence of steroid drugs and injections, ideally a 90–day preparation.63 In case of lack of ability to take oral glucocorticoids resulting from vomiting/diarrhea, injectable steroids must be initiated and hospital admission must be suggested.64 If adrenal disaster is suspected (fever, hypotension), 100–200 mg hydrocortisone IV 4–6 hourly must be initiated.
People with uncontrolled Cushing’s syndrome of any origin are at increased danger of an infection basically.63 If experiencing fever or cough supportive therapy must be initiated. In case of shortness of breath, hospital admission must be suggested.
In COVID-19 sufferers admitted in hospital, routine thyroid operate assessments are usually not really helpful. There isn’t any profit of levothyroxine therapy in sufferers with euthyroid syndrome.65 Sufferers with thyrotoxicosis ought to proceed taking drugs as prescribed as these with uncontrolled thyrotoxicosis could also be at increased danger of problems (corresponding to thyroid storm) from any an infection. Sufferers on corticosteroids or immunosuppressive brokers for thyroid eye illness are extra vulnerable and are at excessive danger of extreme sickness from COVID-19 and such sufferers have to take extra precautions.66 Carbimazole induced agranulocytosis and subacute thyroiditis must be saved in thoughts as differentials in sufferers presenting with sore throat. In line with latest case reviews, COVID-19 an infection might trigger subacute thyroiditis. Hypothyroidism sufferers ought to proceed taking levothyroxine therapy as recommended.66
Bone and Mineral Metabolism (Osteoporosis)
Whereas there isn’t any proof of elevated danger of COVID-19 to sufferers with bone and mineral metabolism problems, the unprecedented international lockdowns have considerably affected their care. It’s advisable for these on drugs corresponding to denosumab and romosozumab to obtain well timed infusions, nevertheless, infusions of bisphosphonates corresponding to Zoledronic acid could also be deferred resulting from their lengthy half-life.67
Sodium Metabolism (Diabetes Insipidus)
Central and nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (DI) pose a specific problem resulting from diminished availability of laboratory (electrolyte) testing. An opinion piece lately highlighted this problem, encouraging the apply of as soon as per week aquaresis by omitting one dose of vasopressin in people with present DI.68
The combat in opposition to COVID-19 has been confirmed to be a difficult one. As in each battle, it’s the responsibility of the frontline fighters to guard the weak group with utmost choice – the aged and people with comorbid situations. Subsequently, all healthcare personnel ought to make one of the best use of up to date data and abilities to make sure ample protecting measures and well timed therapy for COVID-19 sufferers having diabetes, different endocrine ailments or every other comorbidities.
The authors report no conflicts of curiosity on this work.
1. Chen Y, Gong X, Wang L, Guo J. Results of hypertension, diabetes and coronary coronary heart illness on COVID-19 ailments severity: a scientific evaluate and meta-analysis. medRxiv. 2020.
2. Bornstein SR, Rubino F, Khunti Okay, et al. Sensible suggestions for the administration of diabetes in sufferers with COVID-19. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2020;8(6):546–550. doi:10.1016/S2213-8587(20)30152-2
3. Latif ZA, Ashrafuzzaman SM, Amin MF, Gadekar A, Sobhan MJ, Haider T. A cross-sectional Examine to guage diabetes administration, management and problems in sufferers with kind 2 diabetes in Bangladesh. BIRDEM Med J. 2017;7(1):17–27. doi:10.3329/birdem.v7i1.31268
4. Remuzzi A, Remuzzi G. COVID-19 and Italy: what subsequent? Lancet. 2020;395(10231):1225–1228. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30627-9
5. Barrera FJ, Shekhar S, Wurth R, et al. Prevalence of diabetes and hypertension and their related dangers for poor outcomes in Covid-19 sufferers. J Endocr Soc. 2020;4(9):bvaa102. doi:10.1210/jendso/bvaa102
6. Roncon L, Zuin M, Rigatelli G, Zuliani G. Diabetic sufferers with COVID-19 an infection are at increased danger of ICU admission and poor short-term final result. J Clin Virol. 2020;127:104354. doi:10.1016/j.jcv.2020.104354
7. Report of the WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Illness 2019 (COVID-19). World Well being Group; 2020. Accessible from: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/report-of-the-who-china-joint-mission-on-coronavirus-disease-2019-(covid-19).
8. The Novel Coronavirus Pneumonia Emergency Response Epidemiology Staff. The epidemiological traits of an outbreak of 2019 novel coronavirus ailments (COVID-19)-China, 2020. China CDC Weekly. 2020;2(8):113–122. doi:10.46234/ccdcw2020.032
9. Zhang B, Zhou X, Qiu Y, et al. Medical Traits of 82 Demise Circumstances with COVID-19. medRxiv. 2020.
10. Alshaikh A, Alsifri S, Alhozali A, et al. Saudi Scientific Diabetes Society Position Statement: administration of diabetes mellitus within the pandemic of COVID-19. Int J Clin Med. 2020;11(05):199–206. doi:10.4236/ijcm.2020.115020
11. Gupta R, Hussain A, Misra A. Diabetes and COVID-19: proof, present standing and unanswered analysis questions. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2020;74(6):864–870. doi:10.1038/s41430-020-0652-1
12. Guo W, Li M, Dong Y, et al. Diabetes is a danger issue for the development and prognosis of COVID-19. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2020;e3319.
13. Hoffmann M, Kleine-Weber H, Schroeder S, et al. SARS-CoV-2 cell entry will depend on ACE2 and TMPRSS2 and is blocked by a clinically confirmed protease inhibitor. Cell. 2020;181(2):271–280. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2020.02.052
14. Bindom SM, Lazartigues E. The sweeter facet of ACE2: physiological proof for a task in diabetes. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009;302(2):193–202. doi:10.1016/j.mce.2008.09.020
15. Roca-Ho H, Riera M, Palau V, Pascual J, Soler MJ. Characterization of ACE and ACE2 expression inside completely different organs of the NOD mouse. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18(3):e563. doi:10.3390/ijms18030563
16. Yang JK, Lin SS, Ji XJ, Guo LM. Binding of SARS coronavirus to its receptor damages islets and causes acute diabetes. Acta Diabetol. 2010;47(3):193–199. doi:10.1007/s00592-009-0109-4
17. American Diabetes Affiliation. 6. Glycemic targets: requirements of medical care in diabetes-2020. Diabetes Care. 2020;43(Suppl. 1):S66–S76. doi:10.2337/dc20-S006
18. Cemiyeti TD. Professional advice on glucose administration methods of diabetes mix with COVID-19. J Clin Intern Med. 2020;37(3):215–219.
19. Banerjee M, Chakraborty S, Pal R. Diabetes self-management amid COVID-19 pandemic. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2020;14(4):351–354. doi:10.1016/j.dsx.2020.04.013
20. Basu A, Slama MQ, Nicholson WT, et al. Steady glucose monitor interference with generally prescribed drugs: a pilot research. J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2017;11(5):936e41. doi:10.1177/1932296817697329
21. Rao PV, Makkar BM, Kumar A, et al. RSSDI consensus on self-monitoring of blood glucose in varieties 1 and a couple of diabetes mellitus in India. Int J Diabetes Dev Ctries. 2018;38(3):260–279. doi:10.1007/s13410-018-0677-3
22. Schuster KM, Barre Okay, Inzucchi SE, et al. Steady glucose monitoring within the surgical intensive care unit: concordance with capillary glucose. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014;76(3):798e803. doi:10.1097/TA.0000000000000127
23. Wang A, Zhao W, Xu Z, Gu J. Well timed blood glucose administration for the outbreak of 2019 novel coronavirus illness (COVID-19) is urgently wanted. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2020;162:108118. doi:10.1016/j.diabres.2020.108118
24. Sick day guidelines: learn how to handle Sort 2 diabetes in case you change into unwell with coronavirus and what to do together with your treatment. London: NHS; 2020. Accessible from: https://www.england.nhs.uk/london/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2020/04/3.-Covid-19-Type-2-Sick-Day-Rules-Crib-Sheet-06042020.pdf.
26. Barazzoni R, Bischoff SC, Krznaric Z, Pirlich M, Singer P. ESPEN skilled statements and sensible steerage for dietary administration of people with sars-cov-2 an infection. Clin Nutr. 2020;39:1631–1638. doi:10.1016/j.clnu.2020.03.022
27. Vitamin D deficiency in Eire– implications for COVID-19: outcomes from the Irish Longitudinal Examine on Ageing (TILDA). Dublin: Irish Longitudinal Examine on Ageing (TILDA); 2020. Accessible from: https://tilda.tcd.ie/publications/reports/pdf/Report_Covid19VitaminD.pdf.
28. Ghaffari H, Tavakoli A, Moradi A, et al. Inhibition of H1N1 influenza virus an infection by zinc oxide nanoparticles: one other rising software of nanomedicine. J Biomed Sci. 2019;26(1):70. doi:10.1186/s12929-019-0563-4
29. Hemilä H. Vitamin C consumption and susceptibility to pneumonia. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1997;16(9):836–837. doi:10.1097/00006454-199709000-00003
30. Covid 19 and diabetes. Worldwide Diabetes Federation; 2020. Accessible from: https://www.idf.org/aboutdiabetes/what-is-diabetes/covid-19-and-diabetes/1-covid-19-and-diabetes.
31. Ghelichkhani P, Esmaeili M. Inclined Position in Management of COVID-19 Sufferers; a Commentary. Arch Acad Emerg Med. 2020;8(1):e48.
32. Thomas P, Baldwin C, Bissett B, et al. Physiotherapy administration for COVID-19 within the acute hospital setting: scientific apply suggestions. J Physiother. 2020;66(2):73–82. doi:10.1016/j.jphys.2020.03.011
33. Nationwide Pointers on Medical Management of COVID-19. Model 8.0. Dhaka: Directorate Common of Well being Providers; 2020. Accessible from: https://dghs.gov.bd/images/docs/Guideline/COVID_Guideline_v8_2.pdf.
34. Covid-19 and Diabetes: BADAS information for healthcare professionals. Dhaka: Diabetic Affiliation of Bangladesh; 2020. Accessible from: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F2hHB1IMjeX-KHcyHYnvHuqYzoj00Xnj.
35. Recommendation for healthcare professionals on coronavirus (Covid-19) and diabetes. Leicester: Leicester Diabetes Centre, Diabetes UK; 2020. Accessible from: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/professionals/resources/coronavirus-clinical-guidance#guidance-care-homes.
36. Psychological well being and psychosocial issues throughout the COVID-19 outbreak.World Well being Group; 2020. Accessible from: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-2019-nCoV-MentalHealth-2020.1.
37. COVID-19 outbreak: steerage for individuals with diabetes. Worldwide Diabetes Federation; 2020. Accessible from: https://www.idf.org/our-network/regions-members/europe/europe-news/196-information-on-corona-virus-disease-2019-covid-19-outbreak-and-guidance-for-people-with-diabetes.html.
38. Zhou G, Myers R, Li Y, et al. Function of AMP-activated protein kinase in mechanism of metformin motion. J Clin Make investments. 2001;108(8):1167–1174. doi:10.1172/JCI13505
39. Plattner F, Bibb JA. Serine and threonine phosphorylation. In: Brady ST, Siegel GJ, Albers RW, Worth DL, editors. Fundamental Neurochemistry (Eighth Version). New York: Tutorial Press; 2012:467–492. doi:10.1016/B978-0-12-374947-5.00025-0
40. Sharma S, Ray A, Sadasivam B. Metformin in COVID-19: a attainable function past diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2020;164:108183. doi:10.1016/j.diabres.2020.108183
41. Singh AK, Khunti Okay. Evaluation of danger, severity, mortality, glycemic management and antidiabetic brokers in sufferers with diabetes and COVID-19: a story evaluate. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2020;165:108266. doi:10.1016/j.diabres.2020.108266
42. Singh AK, Singh R, Saboo B, Misra A. Non-insulin anti-diabetic brokers in sufferers with kind 2 diabetes and COVID-19: a crucial appraisal of literature. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2020;15(1):159–167. doi:10.1016/j.dsx.2020.12.026
43. Gordon DE, Jang GM, Bouhaddou M, et al. A SARS-CoV-2-human protein-protein interplay map reveals drug targets and potential drug- repurposing. Nature. 2020;583(7816):459–468. doi:10.1038/s41586-020-2286-9
44. Iacobellis G. COVID-19 and diabetes: can DPP4 inhibition play a task? Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2020;162:108–125. doi:10.1016/j.diabres.2020.108125
45. Yang W, Cai X, Han X, Ji L. DPP-4 inhibitors and danger of infections: a meta-analysis of randomized managed trials. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2016;32(4):391–404. doi:10.1002/dmrr.2723
46. Singh A, Singh R. Dipeptidyl-peptidase-4 inhibitors in kind 2 diabetes and COVID-19: from a possible repurposed agent to a helpful therapy possibility. J Diabetol. 2020;11(3):131–136. doi:10.4103/JOD.JOD_53_20
47. Pal R, Bhadada S. Ought to anti-diabetic drugs be reconsidered amid COVID-19 pandemic? Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2020;108146. doi:10.1016/j.diabres.2020.108146
48. Ceriello A, Stoian AP, Rizzo M. COVID-19 and diabetes administration: what must be thought of? Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2020;163:108151. doi:10.1016/j.diabres.2020.108151
49. Drucker DJ. Coronavirus infections and sort 2 diabetes-shared pathways with therapeutic implications. Endocr Rev. 2020;41(3):bnaa011. doi:10.1210/endrev/bnaa011
50. Amin EF, Rifaai RA, Abdel-Latif RG. Empagliflozin attenuates transient cerebral ischemia/reperfusion harm in hyperglycemic rats through repressing oxidative-inflammatory-apoptotic pathway. Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2020;34(5):548–558. PMID: 32068294. doi:10.1111/fcp.12548
51. Ceriello A. Thiazolidinediones as anti-inflammatory and anti-atherogenic brokers. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2008;24(1):14–26. doi:10.1002/dmrr.790
52. Zhou F, Yu T, Du R, Fan G, Liu Y, Liu Z. Medical course and danger elements for mortality of grownup inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort research. Lancet. 2020;395(10229):1054–1062. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30566-3
53. Singh AK, Gillies CL, Singh R, et al. Prevalence of co-morbidities and their affiliation with mortality in sufferers with COVID-19: a scientific evaluate and meta-analysis. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2020;22(10):1915–1924. doi:10.1111/dom.14124
54. Diabetes administration throughout the coronavirus pandemic: be proactive and ready. Melbourne: Royal Australian Faculty of Common Practitioners; 2020. Accessible from: https://www.racgp.org.au/getmedia/97a5abb4-1290-42cb-91c0-eabcaa8ca590/Diabetes-management-during-coronavirus-pandemic_1.pdf.aspx.
55. Ceriello A, Standl E, Catrinoiu D, et al.; Diabetes and Cardiovascular Illness (D&CVD) EASD Examine Group. Points of cardiovascular danger administration in individuals with diabetes within the COVID-19 period. Diabetes Care. 2020;43(7):1427–1432. doi:10.2337/dc20-0941
56. Bangladesh Endocrine Society Insulin Guideline 2018. Dhaka: Bangladesh Endocrine Society; 2018. Accessible from: http://bes-org.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Insulin%20Guideline.pdf.
57. American Diabetes Affiliation. Complete Medical Analysis and Evaluation of Comorbidities: requirements of Medical Care in Diabetes-2021. Diabetes Care. 2021;44(Suppl. 1):S40–S52. doi:10.2337/dc21-S004
58. Nationwide Inpatient Diabetes Covid-19 Response Group. COncise adVice on Inpatient Diabetes (COVID: Diabetes): steerage For Managing Inpatient Hyperglycaemia. Leicester: Leicester Diabetes Centre, Diabetes UK; 2020. Accessible from: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/public/2020-04/COvID_Hyper_v4.1.pdf.
59. Rayman G, Lumb A, Kennon B, et al. London Inpatient Diabetes Community-COVID-19. Pointers for the administration of diabetes companies and sufferers throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Diabet Med. 2020;37(7):1087–1089. doi:10.1111/dme.14316
60. Steering for maternal medication within the evolving coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic: info for healthcare professionals, Model 2.4. London: Royal school of obstetrics and gynecologists; 2020. Accessible from: https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/2020-07-10-guidance-for-maternal-medicine.pdf.
61. Yamamoto JM, Donovan LE, Feig DS, Berger H. Pressing replace– non permanent various screening technique for gestational diabetes screening throughout the COVID-19 Pandemic: a Joint Consensus Statement from the Diabetes Canada Medical Follow Pointers Steering Committee and the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada. Accessible from: https://www.sogc.org/common/Uploaded%20files/GDM-COVID-19%20temporary%20screening%20guidelines%20-%2020200402%20Agreed%20Final.pdf.
62. Interim U.S. Steering for Threat Evaluation and Work Restrictions for Healthcare Personnel with Potential Publicity to SARS-CoV-2. Washington: Heart for Illness Management; 2021. Accessible from: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/guidance-risk-assesment-hcp.html.
63. AACE place assertion: coronavirus (COVID-19) and other people with adrenal insufficiency and cushing’s syndrome. USA: American Affiliation of Medical Endocrinologists; 2020. Accessible from: https://pro.aace.com/recent-news-and-updates/aace-position-statement-coronavirus-covid-19-and-people-adrenal.
64. COVID-19 and endocrine ailments, A press release from the European Society of Endocrinology. Bristol: European Society of Endocrinology; 2021. Accessible from: https://www.ese-hormones.org/media/2223/covid-and-endocrine-diseases-ese-statement-final_23032020.pdf.
65. Rajput R, Agarwal A, Ganie MA, et al. Coronavirus illness 2019 and thyroid illness: place assertion of Indian Thyroid Society. Thyroid Res Pract. 2020;17(1):4–6. doi:10.4103/trp.trp_28_20
66. AACE place assertion: Coronavirus (COVID-19) and other people with thyroid illness [homepage on the internet]. USA: American Affiliation of Medical Endocrinologists; 2020. Accessible from: https://pro.aace.com/recent-news-and-updates/aace-position-statement-coronavirus-covid-19-and-people-thyroid-disease.
67. Basis NO sufferers and suppliers truth sheet: injections or infusions of osteoporosis drugs throughout the COVID-19 Pandemic cdn.nof.org2020. Arlington: Nationwide Osteoporosis Basis; 2020. Accessible from: https://cdn.nof.org/wp-content/uploads/NOF-COVID-Factsheet_.pdf.
68. Liamis G, Milionis HJ, Elisaf M. Hyponatremia in sufferers with infectious ailments. J Infect. 2011;63(5):327–335. doi:10.1016/j.jinf.2011.07.013